Inquiry question: How is it known that classical physics cannot explain the properties of the atom?
● assess the limitations of the Rutherford and Bohr atomic models
● investigate the line emission spectra to examine the Balmer series in hydrogen (ACSPH138)
● relate qualitatively and quantitatively the quantised energy levels of the hydrogen atom and the law of conservation of energy to the line emission spectrum of hydrogen using:
● investigate de Broglie’s matter waves, and the experimental evidence that developed the following formula:
● analyse the contribution of Schrödinger to the current model of the atom
Extract from Physics Stage 6 Syllabus © 2017 NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA)