Inquiry question: What happens to stationary and moving charged particles when they interact with an electric or magnetic field?
● investigate and quantitatively derive and analyse the interaction between charged particles and uniform electric fields, including: (ACSPH083)
– electric field between parallel charged plates
– acceleration of charged particles by the electric field
– work done on the charge ? = ??, ? = ???,
● model qualitatively and quantitatively the trajectories of charged particles in electric fields and compare them with the trajectories of projectiles in a gravitational field
● analyse the interaction between charged particles and uniform magnetic fields, including: (ACSPH083)
– acceleration, perpendicular to the field, of charged particles
– the force on the charge ? = ??⊥? = ???sin?
● compare the interaction of charged particles moving in magnetic fields to:
– the interaction of charged particles with electric fields
– other examples of uniform circular motion (ACSPH108)
Extract from Physics Stage 6 Syllabus © 2017 NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA)